Thursday, October 30, 2008

Pittsburgh!!! Part two

I was shocked to wake up and realize that it was 9 am instead of the 7:30 it felt like. I hadn't slept that well in a very long time!! With the daylight, I got to more completely check out my gift bag, which was a drawstring Steelers backpack bag. What a great purse that'll make! Inside, I was greeted with a #1 fan magnet with my name on it, some Steelers mints in a tin, a foam Steelers brick (good for throwing at the tv when the Steelers play stupid) and a really awesome hat that says I love Steelers football. It's so good to be loved this way!

I was able to say hello to Alicia and she got to open the box of goodies that I had mailed for her. The main part of her goodies were a quilt and pillow that I made for her.



Will, Karen, Alicia and I headed into Pittsburgh to the Heinz History Museum. That is one cool museum, from the saved goalposts of Three Rivers Stadium mounted outside the building, to the inside of the building itself. The history of Pittsburgh itself was fascinating. I hope to find a book sometime that includes some of what I saw in there. For Alicia and I, the best part was the 2nd floor, which was the sports history. There was a giant room that had all kinds of murals on the wall and some video screens that showed footage of Pittsburgh sports. I actually got chills from watching the Immaculate Reception with Franco Harris. I've seen that play before, but never on such a large screen. It was awesome! I was most interested in the Pirates, Pens and of course, the Steelers. There was some really cool stuff in there!

Some pictures from this floor:




Will decided that I couldn't get the true Pittsburgh experience if I didn't have a meal at Primante's. This is the original location, which started out with just a lunch counter. They are famous for their sandwiches, which are a meal in one. I ordered a salami sandwich, which they built on thick homemade bread, topping the meat & cheese with a layer of their fries and a layer of their vinegar based slaw. It sounds a lot weirder than it tastes, and I'd come with an open mind. It was surprisingly good, but I was not going to need food for quite a while after such a large sandwich!

Next stop was in the strip district, otherwise known as Steelers mecca. I was surrounded by more Steelers gear than I'd ever imagined and it was awesome! Needless to say, I found all kinds of fun stuff for myself, including bling for my car, shirts, coasters, buttons, another Terrible Towel....

Alicia's suggestion for my Pittsburgh experience was to take a ride on one of the Inclines, this one being across the rivers from Heinz Field. I'd actually never ridden on it before, so it was quite fun. The slope of this incline is so steep, you'd have a lot of trouble getting up to the top without assistance! You can get some great views of the city from the top.




We returned to Will's after that to chill out for a while. Dinner was at a mexican place not too far away and both Will & I decided on margaritas. It turned out that they were 28 oz. margaritas and I realized by the end of dinner that I was not entirely sure I'd be able to stand up without borrowing Will's arm! I did manage, however, and slowly sobered up while we watched some college football into the evening.

No comments: