Monday, July 7, 2008

Home stretch, and it's a lonnnng stretch!

Left Indianapolis and headed to Louisville in hopes of seeing our great-Aunt Ann. When we got there, she was sleeping (as are many 90-something-year olds), so we went to grab lunch and come back. When we got back, she was still or again sleeping, soundly, so Maria left her a letter saying we had been there. By now, it was almost 3pm, so we were going to be hauling a$$ to get home. All the nights of bad behavior from various kids (not always the same one, they all took turns) had convinced me that no matter what, the next beds we slept in would be our own.

I have to say, I wanted to weep with joy when I saw the Welcome to North Carolina sign, however I contented myself with a fist pump and a cheer. Of course, the heavy rain that I got to drive through when I got back into NC wasn't so cheerworthy, especially east of Greensboro when I could barely see the dotted lines marking the lanes from the rain and fog. By the time I dropped off Maria and the girls, it was 12:30 am and we got all the way home a little after 1 am.

All in all, it was a successful trip, in spite of all the bad behavior, pukefest, potty stops, and gobs of driving time in the car. We saw Diana get married to Ken, drove in 8 different states, put almost 2400 miles on the car and managed to squeeze in some fun. I don't think I'll get the itch for a road trip for a while now, though. I am happy to be back home, with Chris, my own bed, food I'm used to eating and hoping to catch up on sleep the rest of the way this week.

The priciest gas we found was in Louisville, KY, not in Chicago, at $4.29 a gallon, and the cheapest was in VA at $3.89 a gallon. IN, NC and MN were just under 4 bucks, while IL, WI, WV, KY, and VA were over 4.

No comments: