Friday, September 5, 2008

We got to be adults again!

Thanks to St. Maria (my awesome sister)and Robert, Chris and I got to take a weekend trip that didn't involve kids or relatives for the first time ever. Alice called it our honeymoon... :-)(I suppose you could call it that since we chose to buy our first house instead of taking one right after we got married) We drove to Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia, which was about 3 1/2 hours from home for us. It was really fun. I'd been able to score cheap accomodations so that freed up more money for fun. It was not fancy like the hotel we stayed at in the Chicago area when Diana got married, but the rooms were clean and we slept well, and the beds didn't have coin slots attached to them. :-)

We also scored what for right now, counted as cheap gas.

We ate lunch one of the days at a tavern in the town. The food was pretty good and everyone who works in town, dresses up like the 1700's. It was a fun atmosphere.

I like this photo in particular


It was a cool place and I hadn't been there since I was 8 or 9. There is a lot of history in Virginia and I could very easily become a history junkie. It is a great place to take kids (even though we didn't!) and a great "living" history lesson.

The second day we went into town a while more, then headed to the local winery for a tour. There was a tavern on site so we ate lunch there, then headed in for the tour. It was pretty interesting and we learned some stuff about winemaking. We got to taste 7 different wines (good thing I ate, but even still I was buzzed after the first 6 tastes!). We bought a few bottles to take home with us.

It was a really fun weekend and it let us forget all the trouble at home. I care about Maria too much, so we did opt to return home, :-) but hopefully we won't have to wait another 15 years to get adult time again.

No comments: